Wednesday 20 June 2012

D.I.Y. Photo Box!

Hello Lovelies!

How would you like to take a picture like this for under $10?


AND I used my camera phone.

I thought I would show you how to make your very own camera box so we can all have blog's that look like we are rock star photographers.





What you will need:


  • Cardboard Box
  • White Tissue Paper
  • Poster Paper
  • Ruler
  • Pen/Pencil
  • Tape  (I used Masking tape)
  • Exacto Knife  
First, put the box on its side (if it has flaps, have them facing towards you) and make a 1 inch boarder (about the size of your ruler) around the 2 sides and top of your box.

Its not an exact science.  Try your best to make it straight.
Next, take your knife/scissors and cut along your line


Get out of there Riley!!


It should look something like this:


Now take the tissue paper and cover the sides and the top.  I used 2 sheets of tissue paper


And it should look something like this:


Now you need to cut the poster paper.  It needs to start from the top of the back of the box.  It also needs to be on a curve at the bottom.  Try not to bend the paper as it will show in your pictures.

This is me trying to shove it in there 

Voila!


Now you need some light for your box.  I have read many a blogs about this and they all say to try and use white light.  

I, on the other hand, didn't want to buy new light bulbs so I just used 2 lamps that I had around the house.


If I had a 3rd lamp I might have put it on the top but I don't.


Some things to remember:

- I am no expert at photography
- Play around with this on your own, change the poster paper color to whatever you like
- You can use white paper, a white t-shirt, tissue paper etc. for the sides
- I bought all my supplies at the dollar store, there is no need to spend a lot of money

And now if your anything like me, you will begin to enjoy photographing small, household objects!

Enjoy!

Spooky!

A head massage 
Sup, Marvin.


I love this stuff

I was trying to fart around with Marvin's background 

My Favorite! Coffee! (hence the name of my blog)

Yes that's my flip-flop.

I'm sure the pictures will come out even better with better light, a proper camera (I used my Android phone for all of these) and maybe even a more skilled hand than I.  And hey, I only spent 20min on this!!

Its very relaxing, grab some coffee/tea, put on some music, and you can make this as intricate or be as lazy as you like.

Do you do this? Leave a link, I love looking at your pictures!


Sarah

P.S Here is a sneak peak at what I got in my Julep June mystery box (using my new photography skills)








11 comments:

  1. So cool! Thanks for doing a step-by-step post like this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! I had a great time doing it!!

      Delete
  2. Great tips! I am definitely going to have to try this out!!

    southernglamourista.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl this is awesome - I have been wanting to make a light box FOREVER - I'm so using your tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is how I made mine except that I used white plastic bags and cut them into squares. Best $1.50 I've ever spent! I have to put my lightbox far away from my kitties...I can't imagine what fun they would have with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! Plastic bags..... I'll Add that to the list... Thanks Jayne!

      Delete
  5. ooh interesting! I never thought to use something like this. I just take pictures in natural light.

    CHECK OUT MY CoverFX GIVEAWAY!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this was very informative!! thanks a ton - i always found lighting a bit challenging when taking photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful post!! :D Hahah I love the photo with the cat in the box! XD
    (I found you on the blog hop! :D)

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you for this wonderful idea!!!

    ReplyDelete